Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Babies, babies, babies

First an update on the chicks. They are all doing well, the chicken outside has four little ones fallowing her around, which is adorable. I love to watch a hen with her chicks. And the ones inside are doing well too. They are getting their feathers. And they fill our house with their little peeps. Now moving on to today's babies. This morning my dad came over with a bucket of baby opossums. When he went out to the barn this morning there was a momma opossum with her babies and the dogs went after her. He got to her and took her far away from his dogs with four of her babies still with her. But these four got separated from their momma, and my dad being the big softie that he is had to save them from the dogs and then give them to the kids.
The kids were so excited to find out there was a baby opossum waiting for each of them.

They are kind of cute I have to admit. Most likely we will raise them up until they are big enough to fend for themselves and then let them go. But in the mean time the kids are in heaven. They love the way the little things grab your finger with their tail. It reminds me of when a baby grabs anything that touches it's hand.


My daughter thanked me for letting them stay. She said she was surprised because of my "no rodents for pets" rule. I got off the hook by telling her that they are not rodents, they are marsupials. It is always better when you are the mom if you don't break your own rules.
I do have some bed pictures to put up, but they will have to wait for another day, I was just more in the mood to put these up today.



No comments:

Post a Comment